GED Age Requirements
• Applicants 18 years of age, or older, need not obtain approval from the State GED Office.
• Applicants 17 years of age must apply for a waiver to the minimum age requirement by submitting a complete Age Waiver Application to the State GED Office.
• Applicants 16 years of age must apply for a waiver to the minimum age requirement by submitting a complete Age Waiver Application to the State GED Office. In addition, they must provide a written statement of support, citing extenuating circumstances, from one of the following: a parent, a legal guardian, an ABE Instructor, or a GED Examiner; or be court ordered to participate.
•Applicants under 16 years of age are not permitted to participate in the General Education Development (GED) Battery of tests.
Included in the Age Waiver Application is:
1. GED Age Waiver Application/Demographics: Personal information
b. Mailing Address
c. City, State, Zip
d. Date of Birth
e. Social Security Number
f. Phone Number
g. A Statement explaining why the candidate discontinued his or her education and why they would like to pursue a GED Certificate.
h. Applicant’s Signature
i. Parent’s or Legal Guardian’s Signature (new to the application)
2. GED Age Waiver Application/School District Withdrawal Verification
a. Date Withdrawn
b. Last Grade Completed
c. Was the Student Home Schooled
d. School Name and Address
e. School Phone Number
f. Verified By/Title
3. GED Age Waiver Application/Pretest Verification: Demonstrates the ability for the candidate to obtain passing scores on the GED Battery of Tests. A Pretest Average of 500 must be met for an Age Waiver Application to be considered.
a. Type of Pretest Given
b. Pretest Scores: Writing, Social Studies, Science, Literature and the Arts, Mathematics, and the Pretest Average
c. Facility Name and Address Where Tested
d. Facility Phone Number
e. Verified By/Title
• All age waiver approvals are conditional. Ability, commitment and need must be demonstrated prior to approval.