Central Oregon Community Resources
Where can I go? - - Who should I
Use pages 11 and 12 of your Community Resource Book
to write down the name of the category where you would need to look to get help
for each situation below:
Dental needs ______________ Resources
for the deaf _________________
Death of a loved one ___________ GED classes
Teenage programs ______________ Car safety
Stop smoking ________________ Parenting
Prenatal services ________________ Grandparent
Write the answer to each question and include the page
number. Be sure to skim the description to make sure that the agency you write
down provides the actual service in the question. Using number one as an
example, not all agencies listed under Employment actually provide
- Michelle is looking for a job, but she would like to
take a job training course. Where can she go?
- Joseís daughter is almost 4 years old. He wants to
find a good preschool with transportation. Who should he call?
- Liís car is broken down and she needs a ride to class
next week. She needs information about bus service. Who should she call?
- Julia just had a baby and needs to find insurance for
him. What are her options?
- Juan wants to find out if he qualifies for food
stamps. Who can he call?
- Lydia needs to take her son for immunizations. Where
can she go?
- Itís time for Annís annual womenís exam and she would
like information about family planning. What are the names of two places in
Bend that she can go?
- Lisaís husband is physically abusing her. She has 2
young children and doesnít work. Where can she go to get the support she
- Hans is having legal problems and needs some legal
help. Who should he call?
- Mary needs to find reliable child care. Who can she
- Itís winter and very cold outside. Mario is having
problems paying the high heating bills. Who can he call to get help paying
- Jane is worried because her brother drinks too alcohol
every day. She wants to find a program that helps alcoholics. Where should
she call, both for help for her brother and help for herself?
- Leah feels depressed and tired most of the time.
Where can she get mental health services?
- John would like to help out in the community. He
enjoys reading to children. Whatís the name of a program that matches
volunteers with school.
- Lisa is worried that her teenage daughter has
anorexia. She needs to find out where she can get information and treatment
for eating disorders. Who should she call?
Discuss these questions in a small group:
1. What did you already know about community resources
before doing this activity?
2. What did you from learn it?
3. Do you know of similar services in your home country?
How do the services compare?
4. What role do you think the government should play in
financing these types of services?
5. Are there any services you discovered today that you
are interested in pursuing? If so, which ones?
6. Are there any services you didnít find today that you
would like to know about?