Step 2: Drafting
· To investigate and practice drafting form, technique and strategy
· To demonstrate more effective writing through the use of systematic drafting methods
Print this topic list. Do not read it right now! You can use these topics to practice elements of the writing process, including drafting. http://abeged.com/essaytopics.html
Complete Writing Process Step1- Pre-Writing activities.
Read the following articles on the elements of drafting effective writing.
Complete at least one exercise for each article.
· You will need writing paper and a pen or pencil.
· If you need a writing topic, use one from your printout (see above).
Take notes and create examples for your future reference.
· Creating a thesis from a subject:
· Stating your thesis (stating specifically what you will write about): http://www.powa.org/thesis/stating.html
· Developing your writing:
· Supporting your thesis (“skeleton” writing example): http://www.powa.org/thesis/supporting.html#Getting%20Inside%20an%20Idea
· Explaining with examples:
(You will be asked for a name and password. Just hit “Cancel” to go to activity) http://m253.sd40.bc.ca/palc/documents/GED/Explaining%20with%20Examples.doc
· Introductions and conclusions (starting and finishing your writing):
Feedback and Review:
Use specific drafting technique for two classroom writings. Afterwards, show your notes and draft to your instructor for feedback and discussion.
· How did using these techniques affect your writing experience?
· How will your writing change when you focus more on effective drafting?
Transfer of Knowledge or Skills:
1. Apply elements of effective drafting to writing formal letters and for planning discussions, arguments, meetings, etc.
2. How does being thoughtful and organized BEFORE these activities change the outcome?