Internet Biology/Cells in the News/Frozen Frogs—Cryosurgery
Log on to the above site and click on “Watch the Segment”. After watching the segment, click onto “Cold Cures”, and answer the following questions.
1) Explain how chemical damage injures cells during freezing.
2. How do the cells of the frog survive freezing?
3. Define cryoprotectants.
4. What happens to cells in tissue that do not have cryoprotectants?
5. Define cryosurgery and the problem it encountered.
6. How did medical imaging help the field of cryosurgery?
Click here F to return to Cell in the News Activity.