Internet: DNA, Genes, and Heredity
Log on to the above site, click on the following 10 factoids and write one to three observations about each factoid.
1. Goldfish have more chromosomes than humans.
2. If typed, the genetic code of a human would fill about 134 complete sets of Encyclopedia Brittanica.
3. Humans are 99.9% identical—only .1% of our genetic makeup differs.
4. Identical twins do not have identical fingerprints.
5. Scientists have been able to study the DNA of 30-million-year-old termites and a Neanderthal.
6. 12,000 letters of DNA were decoded by the Human Genome Project every second.
7. Most leading causes of death have a genetic component.
8. 2003 marked the 50th anniversary of the discovery of the structure DNA.
9. Sometimes genes “jump” around on a chromosome.
10. Scientists estimate that humans have only 1/3 more genes than the simple roundworm.
Click here F to return to Genetics Activity.