Exponents of Variables
To develop an understanding of the rules of exponents as used in algebra.
To complete with 80% mastery, all worksheets and quizzes in the Feedback and Review section.
1. For a slide show of the rules for exponents, click here http://www.math.hawaii.edu/~dale/flash/exponents.html .
2. Want the rules and a good written explanation of each? Click here http://www.oakroadsystems.com/math/expolaws.htm .
3. For rules and examples of basic exponents, Negative exponents, Scientific notation, Engineering notation, and Rational exponents, click here http://www.purplemath.com/modules/exponent.htm .
1. For good explanations and examples when multiplying and dividing with exponents, click here http://www.millville.org/Workshops_f/Santa2/Text/Lesson3.html .
2. For rules for exponents and examples, click here http://library.thinkquest.org/20991/alg/powers.html?tqskip1=1 . When you are finished reading the section and think you understand it, take the quiz. Notation on the quiz is cumbersome.
3. For examples and a quiz, click here http://www.algebrahelp.com/lessons/simplifying/numberexp/index.htm.
Feedback and Review:
1. For answers to commonly asked questions about exponents, click http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/sets/mid_exponents.html .
2. To a 10 Question interactive quiz that is corrected online, click here http://www.math.ucla.edu/~aives/quizzes/exp01.htm .
Transfer of Knowledge or Skills:
1. Click http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/2426/page51.html .
2. For online exponent Quiz, click http://math.uww.edu/~mcfarlat/141/expo1.htm .
3. For 56 problems on negative and zero exponents as well as scientific notation, click here http://www1.broward.edu/~hsorkin/I-Math/Supp-5/Supp-5.PDF . Find them at the bottom of the page after the examples. The answers are there at the end of that page also.