Application for Scholarship Assistance
Montana Association for Adult and Community Education
ONE ROUND ONLY!
Deadline: Applications for activities must be postmarked no later than September 30, 2003.
MAACE is pleased to announce its scholarship round for 2003 - 2004. The purpose of these scholarships is for MAACE members to have the opportunity to attend selected conferences and workshops. Individuals may receive only one scholarship during the grant year of September 1, 2003, to June 30, 2004, and this year there will be only one round.
Because of the importance of professional development, MAACE receives funds from OPI to provide these opportunities for its members. This year OPI has designated the following areas as priorities: program improvement, corrections education, learning disabilities and MAACE. Scholarships are individually awarded and are based primarily on the individual’s ability to demonstrate how his or her attendance at the proposed event will be professionally and programmatically beneficial. Students enrolled in adult literacy tutor programs or ABLE programs may also apply if they are members of MAACE.
Scholarship Categories for 2003 - 2004:
- This year MAACE has designated the MPAEA 2004 conference in Bozeman April 29 - May 1, 2004, as its priority. The amount of each award for MPAEA may not exceed $350.00. Local programs are encouraged to fund the travel portion of applicants’ expenses. Registration is estimated at approximately $170.00 per person, and lodging at the Bozeman GranTree Inn is not expected to exceed $75, plus tax per night.
- After awards are made for the MPAEA conference, remaining funds may be awarded for other out-of-state professional development events, not to exceed $650 each. If you are interested in a scholarship for anything other than MPAEA, you must complete this application now. Remember: there is only one round!
Scholarships are to be used for the conference, workshop, etc. for which they were awarded. If the recipient desires to change, a request must be made in writing in advance. Scholarships may not be transferred to another person.
NOTE: You must be a 2003 member of MAACE to apply, and you must reside in Montana.
Criteria for Selection:
1. Must be currently involved in adult/community education in Montana.
2. Must be an active, current (2003) member of the Montana Association for Adult and Community Education.
3. Selected conference or workshop must fit into a professional development plan and demonstrate that the activity will enhance the individual's ability to perform on-the-job.
4. Applicant must write a two-page report after completion of the activity as well as indicate at least one other means of sharing new professional information with others after the event. At the June 2003 Board meeting, the MAACE Board voted that individuals who do not fulfill their assignments will be ineligible for the following year’s scholarship.
5. Some consideration may be given for geographic distribution of awards.
6. Some priority will be given to individuals who have not received a scholarship during the last two years of the program.
7. Application is postmarked by the established deadline.
1. All applications will be reviewed by three (3) members of MAACE appointed by the President and the Board of Directors.
2. Reviewers will look for evidence that the applicant is an active MAACE member and that the proposed event will benefit not only the applicant, but others.
3. The following rubric is used to make awards after the reviewers have indicated point totals:
77 - 85 points: 100% of requested amount may be awarded
68 - 76 points: 80% of requested amount may be awarded
60 - 67 points: 50% of requested amount may be awarded
Under 60 points: No award
4. Notification as to whether or not the scholarship award is made and the amount will be sent as soon as possible after input is received from reviewers. (This is usually 2-3 weeks after the deadline.)
1. Applications for activities must be postmarked by September 30, 2003, for consideration in this round.
2. Complete application form (enclosed) or download the application from MT LINCS at
3. Mail application to: Margie Sylvester, MAACE Treasurer, Havre Public Schools, P. O. Box 7791, Havre, MT 59501.
Payment of Scholarship:
Funds will be paid after the activity is completed and appropriate receipts and a report are submitted.