Application for Scholarship Assistance
Montana Association for Adult and Community Education
Deadline: Applications for activities must be postmarked or sent by e-mail no later than
September 27, 2004.
(Application form below)
MAACE is pleased to announce its scholarship round for 2004 - 2005. The purpose of the scholarships is for MAACE members to have an opportunity for assistance to attend the October MAACE conference in Butte or another professional development event. Individuals may receive only one scholarship during the grant year of September 1, 2004, to June 30, 2005.
Because of the importance of professional development, MAACE receives funds from OPI to provide these opportunities for its members. This year, OPI has designated the following areas as priorities: program improvement, working with students with special needs, and MAACE. Scholarships are individually awarded and are based primarily on the individual’s ability to demonstrate how his or her attendance at the proposed event will be professionally and programmatically beneficial. Students enrolled in adult literacy tutor programs or ABLE programs may also apply if they are members of MAACE.
Scholarship Categories for 2004 - 2005:
1. This year, 22 scholarships may be awarded for the MAACE conference in Butte. The amount of each award for MAACE may not exceed $350.00. Local programs are encouraged to fund the travel portion of applicants’ expenses. Registration will be $70.00 per person, and lodging at the Butte Red Lion will be $55.00 per night, plus tax.
2. Five additional scholarships may be awarded for other professional development opportunities. The amount of each of these awards may not exceed $600.00.
Scholarships are to be used for the conference, workshop, etc. for which they were awarded. If the recipient wishes to make a change, a request must be made in writing in advance. Scholarships may not be transferred to another person.
NOTE: You must be a 2004 member of MAACE to apply, and you must reside in Montana.
Criteria for Selection:
1. Must be currently involved in adult/community education in Montana.
2. Must be an active, current (2004) member of the Montana Association for Adult and Community Education.
3. Selected conference or workshop must fit into a professional development plan and demonstrate that the activity will enhance the individual's ability to perform on-the-job.
4. Applicant must write a two-page report after completion of the activity as well as indicate at least one other means of sharing new professional information with others after the event. Individuals who do not fulfill their assignments will be ineligible for a scholarship next year. 2003-2004 scholarship recipients who have not fulfilled this obligation will be ineligible to receive a scholarship this year.
5. Some consideration may be given for geographic distribution of awards.
6. Some priority will be given to individuals who have not received a scholarship during the last two years of the program.
7. Application is postmarked or submitted electronically by the established deadline.
1. All applications will be reviewed by three members of MAACE appointed by the President and the Board of Directors.
2. Reviewers will look for evidence that the applicant is an active MAACE member and that the proposed event will benefit not only the applicant, but others.
3. The following rubric is used to make awards after the reviewers have indicated point totals:
77 - 85 points: 100% of requested amount may be awarded
68 - 76 points: 80% of requested amount may be awarded
60 - 67 points: 50% of requested amount may be awarded
Under 60 points: No award
4. Notification as to whether or not the scholarship award is made and the amount will be sent as soon as possible after input is received from reviewers. (This is usually 2-3 weeks after the deadline.)
1. Applications for activities must be postmarked or submitted electronically by September 27, 2004, for consideration in this round.
2. Complete application form (enclosed) or download the application from MT LINCS at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/maace.htm . After accessing this site, scroll down and click on #15 Scholarships. The application has been designed so that you may use Acrobat Reader to complete it. Please limit responses to the space provided.
3. Mail application to Margie Sylvester, MAACE Treasurer, at her temporary address: P. O. Box 307, Peru, NE 68421, or e-mail application to email@example.com .
Payment of Scholarship:
Funds will be paid after the activity is completed and appropriate receipts and a report are submitted.
For this form you will need Acrobat Reader to read and complete the application. (This form can not be saved unless you have Adobe Acrobat. You may want to key in your answers to the longer questions and then copy and paste the information into the form.)
This form is in Word. You can download and save it. However, the scholarship committee asks that you please do not write more than the field will hold. Be sure to proofread!!!