MTLINCS Update

12/8/14

Greetings from Montana LINCS

Problems with the links in the email?

Go to the Email Archives in the upper left-hand corner on the home page at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/index.htm

Montana Information

1.    HiSET Blast

HiSET® Program eUpdate | November 2014

HiSET® Official Practice Tests

The 2015 HiSET® Official Practice Tests are available for ordering. These tests are available only to educators, state directors and test center administrators. They are to be used only as prep materials and not in place of a HiSET subtest.

The practice subtests are half the length of a full subtest. Each subtest contains a half-length version of the full test, a score conversion table and a blank answer sheet. You can find the order form in our Download Library. The cost is $10 per subtest or $50 for the complete battery.

Test Center Reminders

For PBT Centers:

2014 Test Book Returns

The 2014 HiSET test materials (test books and answer sheets) must be returned to ETS at the conclusion of the 2014 testing year. You should have received the HiSET Test Book Return Instructions, outlining the process you need to follow. We also provided the HiSET Test Materials Return Notice that needs to be completed, signed and returned along with the test materials. It is very important for the security of the exams that these processes be followed. The Test Materials Return Notice has recently been updated to reflect all the forms. Please contact Test Administration Services group for the new form. If you've already completed the old form, you can list any missed forms or provide additional information on the back of the sheet.

If you have any questions, please contact your Test Administration Services group — they are here to help in any way you need.

2015 Test Materials

The 2015 HiSET test materials are ready! We'd like to remind everyone that the three HiSET answer sheets are available in 100-sheet packs and are not included in the battery bundles. Please keep this in mind while ordering.

HiSET Success

Does your state have a HiSET success story you want to share with us and others? If so, we want to hear it. Email Sheri Mayo with details. Include "HiSET Success Story" in your subject line.

ETS HiSET Conference

Registration is now closed for the first HiSET conference. We look forward to seeing you in Las Vegas in December.

If you have registered for the conference and have any questions, please send an email to HiSETevents@ets.org and you will receive a response within 48 hours.

For more information about the HiSET program, contact us.

Phone toll-free:

1-855-MyHiSET
1-855-694-4738

Email: HiSET@ets.org

Montana HSE Information:  November

Marketing – New Item:  11/10/14

NEW:  Montana Tri-fold HiSET Information

Per your request, HiSET/EST has now included HiSET information in the trifold for you to post or print. You can use the designated text blocks for program/test center specific information.

Margaret Bowles

Click here http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/HiSET/hiset_resources.htm#Marketing  to access HiSET Trifold Templates for Montana.

·        HISET Trifold BW 2014 MT

·        HISET Trifold Clr v1 2014 MT

·        HISET Trifold Clr v2 2014 MT

·        HISET Trifold Clr v3 2014 MT

Montana HiSET Resources

Check out the shared resources on the HiSET Resource page at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/HiSET/hiset_resources.htm.

Remember:  The resources below are teacher-designed resources that may be changed as teachers learn more by experience with HiSET and more vendor HiSET materials become available.

Have you created or found any resources that you are willing to share?  Please email them to MTLINCS.

HiSET Success:  Montana

Do you have a HiSET success story you want to share with us and others? If so, we want to hear it. Email Margaret Bowles with details. Include "HiSET Success Story" in your subject line.

2.   Montana Instruction Ideas

Check out all postings for ideas about instruction.

3.   Montana Moving Pathways Forward Resources

Click here for MT_ABE_Regional_Mtgs_ Labor_Market_Information_Nov_2014.

Click here for Montana Job Projections 2012-2022.

Click here for Montana Job Projections Spreadsheet.

Click here to access all MPF Resources.

4.   WIOA Update:  WIOA Timeline

WIOA Montana Updates:

11/25:  WIOA Timeline and Action Plan for States

Update 11/3 – Chunk #5:  Margaret Bowles

Last week I participated in the Region IV WIOA Town Hall meeting. The Montana delegation participated via WebEX, and it was a wonderful opportunity to join eleven other states in voicing our questions and concerns regarding the implementation of WIOA. The six hour meeting opened with comments from national leaders representing US Department of Labor, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, and Health and Human Services. Each spokesperson discussed why this new law is a game changer. For the remainder of the day, the participants were divided into work groups to address a series of questions. The responses to these questions will be used ensure the January guidance is clear, concise, and meets the needs of state WIOA partners. Below are the Town Hall questions and Power Point presentation.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss the questions or PowerPoint.

Margaret Bowles
Adult Literacy and Basic Education Director

·        Town Hall Questions

·        PowerPoint Presentation 

Click here http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/wioa/wioa_updates.html  to access Montana WIOA:  Chunking Pertinent Information for Montana.

WIOA National Updates:

WIOA Webinar:  WIOA: What Now? Shifts in Policy, Shifts in Practice Webinar Series 

The Senate floor is a long way from your programs and classrooms. Attend the WIOA: What Now? Shifts in Policy, Shifts in Practice Webinar Series to learn more about what WIOA means for educators and explore existing and emerging strategies for your students to increase engagement, accelerate academic progress and prepare for postsecondary education or workforce training.

http://collegetransition.org/resources.webinars.wioa.html

Webinar #1: College and Career Focused Program Models

Friday, December 5th, 2:00 - 3:00 pm EST

REGISTER

This webinar will explore two major shifts for the field of adult education and workforce training named in the WIOA legislation: 1) the need to develop and strengthen career pathways that integrate basic skills and career preparation and 2) a focus on preparing adult learners for success in postsecondary education and the workplace. College and Career Focused Program Models will be a practitioner led dialogue designed for you to consider what these shifts mean for program design and classroom practice. Learn how two approaches, Minnesota Fast Trac and LaGuardia Community College’s Bridge to College and Careers Program, strengthen pathways and move more students into postsecondary education and the workplace.

The WIOA: What Now? Practice and Policy Webinar Series is co-sponsored by the National College Transition Network/World Education and LaGuardia Community College/CUNY.

Future webinars will highlight college and career focused models for English language instruction and models for collaboration between adult basic education and workforce investment boards as examples of programmatic shifts implied in WIOA.

Click here  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-reauthorization.html  

U.S. Department of Education WIOA Reauthorization site

Transcripts of Videos

·         9/8/14 Video:  Session IV:  Title I - Performance Accountability System

o   Transcript:  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-info-session-4-transcript.pdf

·         9/2/14 Video:  Session III:  Title I - State Workforce Boards and Unified Plans

o   Transcript:  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-info-session-3-transcript.pdf

·         8/20/14Video:  Session II:  Overview of the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (WIOA)

o   Transcript:  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-info-session-2-transcript.pdf

·         8/7/14Video:  Session I:  Overview of Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

o   Transcript:  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-info-session-1-transcript.pdf

ARCHIVED Webinar

The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA): An Overview of Adult Education and Literacy Webinar. This webinar, featured on Aug. 28, provided a broad overview of the legislation, key dates for implementation, and useful information on resources and materials for adult education and literacy partners and stakeholders. The event also featured a panel of representatives from the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Department of Labor. See the Presentation slides PDF] and Archived webinar.

National Information

5. Employability Resource:  Using Technology with Job Scout

Taken from LINCS Career Pathways

JobScout, an online platform designed to get people back to work, teaches necessary Internet skills and job-hunting techniques. JobScout uses social game design to engage users in self-paced, online activities that focus on Internet skills applied in a real life context. Users master these skills to apply online for jobs and use JobScout’s social network to collaborate with each other on and offline. 

Click here to Learn more about Job Scout!

Steve Quann

JobScout, an online platform designed to get people back to work, teaches necessary Internet skills and job-hunting techniques. JobScout uses social game design to engage users in self-paced, online activities that focus on Internet skills applied in a real life context. Users master these skills to apply online for jobs and use JobScout’s social network to collaborate with each other on and offline …

6. Employability Skills Webinar and Discussion

Taken from LINCS Career Pathways

Click here https://community.lincs.ed.gov/comment/8944#comment-8944 to access the discussion.  Stay tuned for information about the archived webinar:  Implementing the Employability Skills Framework in the Adult Basic Education Classroom

Snippet #1

Introduction to Discussion

Welcome to the discussion on integrating employability skills into adult education instruction! To get started, I encourage you to check out the Employability Skills Framework website (http://cte.ed.gov/employabilityskills/), where you will find an interactive framework, criteria for selecting an employability skills assessment, and other resources.  See also this page especially for instructors: http://cte.ed.gov/employabilityskills/index.php/audience/educators.

What are employability skills? The Employability Skills Framework defines employability skills as the “general skills needed for success in the labor market at all employment levels and for all industries.” Along with academic and technical skills, employability skills are a key component of college and career readiness.

Why are employability skills important? Listen to this short clip from IBM’s Grace Suh, Manager, Education Initiatives, Corporate Citizenship and Corporate Affairs (excerpted from an earlier presentation).

In addition to asking questions and sharing ideas here, please join us for a webinar on December 3rd at 3pm Eastern to discuss strategies and resources for teaching employability skills and exploring connections between the Employability Skills Framework and the College and Career Readiness Standards.

Laura Rasmussen

Snippet #2

Rural Adult Education

Hello, I have a huge concern about the changes coming that puts the emphasis on adult education and literacy to work force preparedness. I direct a program that consists of ABE and ESL adult literacy programs in a rural county. There is almost no public transportation throughout our county. We have little industry and a very high unemployment rate. Many jobs are seasonal farm work and there is little else. Many adults coming to these programs have specific personal goals that may, or may not, include job preparation. What are we to do when it is unrealistic to 'train' people for work that does not exist?

Gail Srebnik

7.  ESL:  Music and Language

Taken from LINCS Adult English Language Learners

Click here https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/music-and-language to read more and language and music.

A link to an interesting article about the connections between music and language came across my email today.The article, entitled Explainer: how are learning languages and music linked?  was published in The Conversation (U.S.),  and is written by George Tsoulas, Senior Lecturer, Department of Language and Linguistic Science at University of York.  Among other things, the article says  the following:

"Several of the studies reviewed in a 2011 paper by Finnish music and education researcher Riia Milovanov and her colleagues, showed that mastery of more than one language as well as mastery of music involves higher levels of executive control. These are the mechanisms responsible for overall management of cognitive resources and processes – including attention shifts, working memory, reasoning, and switching between tasks.

Other studies reviewed in the same article showed that musical training correlates with better language-learning skills. Learners with a musical background were found to be better at pronouncing the sounds of a second language and at perceiving the relevant contrasts between sounds in that new language."

I always enjoyed learning "real songs" when studying a language (in my case, French first and then Spanish). I wasn't aware of learning the contrasts between sounds; I focused more on vocabulary and syntax and I do remember it clicking hard in brain, while listening to Julio Iglesias,in Un Sentimental  for example, that in Spanish you generally don't use the subject pronouns; and if you do,  it is usually for emphaisis: "Voy, de aquí para allá. Me acuerdo de ti. Tú sabes que soy un sentimental." And about changing the word order to make a question in the French Frère Jacques?: Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?  Finally, I remember the delight of some of my Turkish students at learning the words to John Lennon's Imagine: "You may say I'm a dreamer, But I'm not the only one,  I hope someday you'll join us, And the world will live as one."

Miriam Burt

8.  Reading:  Academic Language

Taken from LINCS Adult English Language Learners

Click here https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/academic-language-we-are-fish-trying-describe-water to access some ideas about teaching academic language.

Snippet #1

Many of us are now starting to look to the College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) to guide teaching and assessing. Communicating effectively with others through academic talk is deeply integrated into these standards in a variety of ways -- very explicitly in the English Language Arts standards as well as in the Mathematics Practices. I welcome this emphasis on talk since I have long believed that high quality literacy instruction should balance listening, speaking, reading and writing, so that students are talking about what they are reading and writing --and writing about what they are talking and reading about. The value of talk is not really a new idea, but it's great to see it receiving such strong emphasis in the CCRS.

What I do see as different, however, is the attention to "academic language." Academic language is inherent in academic content and is actually what mediates one's thinking about this content  If academic language is so important, then I want to understand what specific language is considered "academic." Academic language includes vocabulary, of course, but it is more than that. I have learned that the answer to this question is not necessarily that obvious …

Susan Finmiller

Snippet #2

I'm a Zwiers groupie and a Kinsella groupie and a Schmitt and Zimmerman groupie to boot! All four of these fine minds have insights into ways that we can integrate academic vocabulary instruction. CCRS focuses on the learner's autonomy in building her/his vocabulary and Schmitt (2000)  lays out five vocabulary learning strategy areas (VLS): determination, social, mnemonic, cognitive and metacognitive,  that we can teach and then have learners practice, starting at the very beginning levels of ESL.  Zimmerman in her slender tome, Word Knowledge, talks about what it means to know a word. Although the book is aimed at the higher-level ESL learner, the techniques she shares translate to lower-levels (for example, teaching the meaning of word in the context that it appears, rather than all its meanings). Kinsella, as I imagine everyone on this list knows, is queen of the academic sentence frame and advocates the use of precise language in classroom talk. A great way to get some of the more frequent academic language into common use.  Zwiers provides a great activity template on his site "Opinion Formation Cards" where learners use evidence cards (that incorporate academic language) as the basis of their opinion about a claim. For me, one of the best aspects of the CCRS' approach to vocabulary and grammar is that it is done within the context of the reading, listening passage, discussion, media, etc.  The relevance of the vocabulary instruction is more likely to be assured when it is the gateway to comprehension of the text (or meaningful discussion or writing.)

Jayme Adelson-Goldstein

9. Reading:  Book Study on Reading for Understanding - How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms

Taken from LINCS Assessment

Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms

Meryl Becker-Prezocki, SME, will be leading a book study and discussion that will begin the first week of January.  You can order the book on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Understanding-Apprenticeship-Disciplinary-Classrooms/dp/0470608315

Meryl states:  By starting after the holidays, you would have the month of December to read the book.  Judging from our discussion it looks like we have a lot of interest in the community.  Reading for Understanding has eight chapters plus the Epilogue.   I think that we can discuss two chapters at a time and extend our conversation over the period of a month. 

·        The book study will begin the week of January 5

·        It will last for 4 weeks

·        Each week two chapters will be covered in the discussion

·        Questions/topics will be posted each weekend to start the conversation

·        All comments and questions will be welcomed

If you are interested, you can continue to post your desire to participate.  Further announcements regarding the Book Study will be posted later this month.

Thank you for your interest.

Meryl Becker-Prezocki, SME

10. Reading:  Text Complexity – Strengthening Lessons for the Common Core

Taken from LINCS College and Career Standards

Achieve has partnered with the Teaching Channel for a series of videos that focus on  EQuiP (Educators Evaluating the Quality of Instructional Products). EQuiP is an initiative designed to identify quality materials aligned to the Common Core Standards.  The videos illustrate how teachers have used the EQuiP Rubric to examine lessons in Mathematics and English Language Arts.  If you would like a further explanation of these videos, click hereYou will find many helpful resources on this page.  Check it out.  I hope that it is helpful for you.

Meryl Becker-Prezocki, SME

Montana – remember Susan Pimentel’s presentation on Text Complexity:  http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/EQ/13-14/Reading/ELA.htm

Check out Number 3 on the Teaching Channel website:  https://www.teachingchannel.org/blog/2014/08/08/video-playlist-strengthening-lessons-for-the-ccss-equip/

3. Peer Review in Action – ELA: In this ELA video, you’ll see a different panel of teachers discuss a high school ELA lesson on persuasion. As you watch, notice how the rubric focuses their discussion on text complexity, a hot topic for many ELA teachers. You’ll also hear teachers discuss the value of close lesson examination in ensuring Common Core alignment.

11. Technology:  Raising Digital Natives - Helping Kids Manage the New Rules of Digital Etiquette

Taken from LINCS Correctional Education

ABE works with both digital natives and digital dinosaurs.  Here is a good article on online etiquette that can help both teachers and parents provide some parameters.

Click here to access the article.

P.S.  Remember -- if you are having trouble with the links in this email, go to the Email Archives at the top of the MTLINCS homepage at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/ .  Also if you no longer wish to receive this mailing, please let me know!  Thanks!

Norene Peterson
Adult Education Center
415 N. 30th
Billings, MT 59101

norenehp@bresnan.net