MTLINCS Update

11/3/14

Greetings from Montana LINCS

Problems with the links in the email?

Go to the Email Archives in the upper left-hand corner on the home page at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/index.htm

Montana Information

1.    HiSET Blast

HiSET® Program eUpdate | October 2014

New Spanish-language Resources for HiSET Test Takers

Now available in Spanish! The Quick Reference Guide for Test Takers (PDF) provides a quick overview on how to create a HiSET® account, schedule an appointment and who to contact for questions. Additionally, the Test Taker HiSET Profile Creation (PDF) is now available in Spanish. This registration aid provides test takers the Spanish-language version of the registration profile fields. You can download the new resources from the download library.

New Test Center Search Radius

We have updated the "Test Center Search" feature to include radiuses of 5, 10 and 25 miles for candidates looking for the closest options to schedule a test.

Test Center Reminders

For PBT Centers:

PBT Center ordering of 2015 Batteries

In 2015, HiSET Test Books will be packaged by battery. You will be able to order eight different battery forms, each containing all five subtests (A-2, A-3, B-1, B-2, B-3, C-1, C-2, C-3). We will send you detailed ordering instructions soon.

2014 Test Books and Answer Sheets

In 2014, test centers can destroy their 2014 HiSET test books and answer sheets once all of the center's 2014 scores have been reported. All materials must be inventoried and reported before being destroyed. To make sure testing is not interrupted, destroy the 2014 stock after receiving the 2015 bundles. A guidance document was sent to all PBT Test Centers that outlined the process on how to destroy the 2014 test books and answer sheets.

HiSET Success Story — Clinton, Tenn.

Due to various life-altering circumstances, Linda Rindler made the decision to drop out of high school at the age of 16. After raising five children and watching her three daughters graduate from college, Rindler decided it was her turn to finish what she was not able to years ago and enrolled in the Clinch Valley Adult Education Program in Clinton, Tenn., to help obtain her high school equivalency. Read more about Rindler's story.

Does your state have a HiSET success story you want to share with us and others? If so, we want to hear it. Email Sheri Mayo with details. Include "HiSET Success Story" in your subject line.

ETS HiSET Conference

Registration is now closed for the first HiSET conference. We look forward to seeing you in Las Vegas in December.

If you previously registered for the conference and have any questions, please send an email to HiSETevents@ets.org and you will receive a response within 48 hours.

For more information about the HiSET program, contact us.

Phone toll-free:

1-855-MyHiSET
1-855-694-4738

Email: HiSET@ets.org

Montana HSE Information

Examiners’ Information from Margaret Bowles

I would like to summarize the recent HiSET updates, as there has been a lot happening in a short amount of time.

Calculator update: 

The four function calculator is the tool on record.  A basic four function calculator is what is included in the CBT test.

Math Webinar Link: 

PLAY RECORDING (10 min)
https://hiset.webex.com/hiset/ldr.php?RCID=ceb19b3a3ebee48dba801e01c38d1eeb  

Formula information included in the math webinar:

For 2015, formulas will be included in the following ways:

Items with embedded formulas: these are items that cannot be solved without the formula.

Items without embedded formulas, requiring a formula, but the formula is less common than the basic formulas students are expected to know.  The formulas will be on a formula sheet.

Items without embedded formulas requiring a formula but the formula is a basic formula students are expected to know (example-area).  There will not be formulas provided for these types of items.  

PBT test centers will receive laminated formula sheets and quantity to cover seat capacity.

CBT – this will be similar to calculator - where student will access and use on the computer.

Science Webinar Link: 

PLAY RECORDING (14 min)
https://hiset.webex.com/hiset/ldr.php?RCID=3c80ee85fdce78a8e4a154f0c13e53a4

If you have not looked at these videos yet, I strongly encourage you to do so. They briefly go over the scale score, structure and content, and sample questions. This would be great to share with test candidates. The social studies Webinar will be released very soon. Writing is underdevelopment and will be released after the social studies.

Ordering for 2015

First week of November, ETS will circulate the 2015 ordering instruction, test book destruction instructions, and information about the updated program manual.

Combined GED/HiSET

Your December testing sessions will be the last month to combine scores.

Margaret Bowles, Adult Literacy and Basic Education Director

Marketing: 

Attached are the trifold templates from Jonna McDonough with the following explanation:

Our marketing team developed one black and white template and three color templates.  Of the three color templates, one does not have a front graphic, the other two have different graphics.  The funky text is simply a text place holder for custom text inserts by programs.

Margaret

Click here http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/HiSET/hiset_resources.htm#Marketing:_HiSET_Trifold to access HiSET Trifold Templates.

Montana HiSET Resources

Check out the shared resources on the HiSET Resource page at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/HiSET/hiset_resources.htm.

Remember:  The resources below are teacher-designed resources that may be changed as teachers learn more by experience with HiSET and more vendor HiSET materials become available.

Have you created or found any resources that you are willing to share?  Please email them to MTLINCS.

HiSET Success:  Montana

Do you have a HiSET success story you want to share with us and others? If so, we want to hear it. Email Margaret Bowles with details. Include "HiSET Success Story" in your subject line.

2.   Montana Moving Pathways Forward Resources

Click here to access MPF Resources.

3.   Montana Instruction Ideas

Check out the Postings 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 below for ideas about instruction. 

4.   WIOA Update:  Montana ABLE Programs – Stay informed!

WIOA Montana Updates:

Update 11/3 – Chunk #5:  Margaret Bowles

Last week I participated in the Region IV WIOA Town Hall meeting. The Montana delegation participated via WebEX, and it was a wonderful opportunity to join eleven other states in voicing our questions and concerns regarding the implementation of WIOA. The six hour meeting opened with comments from national leaders representing US Department of Labor, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, and Health and Human Services. Each spokesperson discussed why this new law is a game changer. For the remainder of the day, the participants were divided into work groups to address a series of questions. The responses to these questions will be used ensure the January guidance is clear, concise, and meets the needs of state WIOA partners. Below are the Town Hall questions and Power Point presentation.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss the questions or PowerPoint.

Margaret Bowles
Adult Literacy and Basic Education Director

·        Town Hall Questions

·        PowerPoint Presentation 

Click here http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/wioa/wioa_updates.html  to access Montana WIOA:  Chunking Pertinent Information for Montana.

WIOA National Updates:

Click here  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-reauthorization.html  

U.S. Department of Education WIOA Reauthorization site

Transcripts of Videos

·         9/8/14 Video:  Session IV:  Title I - Performance Accountability System

o   Transcript:  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-info-session-4-transcript.pdf

·         9/2/14 Video:  Session III:  Title I - State Workforce Boards and Unified Plans

o   Transcript:  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-info-session-3-transcript.pdf

·         8/20/14Video:  Session II:  Overview of the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (WIOA)

o   Transcript:  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-info-session-2-transcript.pdf

·         8/7/14Video:  Session I:  Overview of Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

o   Transcript:  http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pi/AdultEd/wioa-info-session-1-transcript.pdf

ARCHIVED Webinar

The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA): An Overview of Adult Education and Literacy Webinar. This webinar, featured on Aug. 28, provided a broad overview of the legislation, key dates for implementation, and useful information on resources and materials for adult education and literacy partners and stakeholders. The event also featured a panel of representatives from the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, the Department of Health and Human Services, and the Department of Labor. See the Presentation slides PDF] and Archived webinar.

National Information

5. Career Pathways Exchange Resources

Taken from Career Pathways Exchange

Career Pathways Toolkit: Six Key Elements for Success

U.S. Department of Labor/Social Policy Research Associates, 2011

The Career Pathways Toolkit offers a clear and user-friendly road map for administrators, practitioners, and policymakers developing career pathways systems at the state, regional, or local levels. It outlines the Six Key Elements Framework, highlights promising practices, and provides tools designed to support visioning and strategic planning. For practitioners focused on program design, the Toolkit's section on Career Pathways Element Three, Designing Education and Training Programs, offers suggestions on major steps such as identifying target populations and program entry points, developing career ladders, engaging employers to validate competencies, designing modularized and contextualized instruction, and providing support services.

Creating a Successful Bridge Program: A "How To" Guide

Illinois iBridge Initiative, 2012

Developed as part of the Illinois Shifting Gears initiative, this guidebook offers a comprehensive look at designing, implementing, and sustaining bridge programs. The guide provides strategies, examples, and worksheets practitioners can immediately use and adapt. Helpful for new programs who need to anticipate essential steps as well as for those who are redesigning a program or improving a particular program element, the guide also includes tips for continuous improvement and profiles of successful programs. Major topics covered include:

·        Building the Team

·        Choosing the Career Cluster and Connecting to a Career Pathway

·        Identifying and Recruiting the Target Population

·        Measuring Abilities, Placing, and Advancing Students

·        Contextualizing the Curriculum

·        Providing Career Development Services

·        Providing Transition Services

·        Funding Bridge Programs

·        Assessing Bridge Program Progress and Outcomes

·        Sustaining a Bridge Program

What is a Credential?

Association for Career and Technical Education, 2013

This fact sheet defines the different types of stackable credentials available to career technical students, including educational certificates, degrees, certifications, and government-issued licenses. This is a useful resource for any stakeholder in workforce development, including educators and administrators, policymakers, and business leaders. It may be particularly helpful for educators in the early stages of career pathways program planning or design and for those who need a baseline understanding of the credential landscape to engage in more informed dialogue with employers about credentials they value.

6.  Corrections:  Pipeline to Prison

Taken from LINCS Correctional Education

Rochelle Kenyon, SME for the Disabilities in Adult Ed LINCS Group brought the below linked article in Mississippi's Clarion-Ledger newspaper to my attention: http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2014/10/25/pipeline-prison-system-fails-special-ed-students/17918123/

It is a heart-twisting tail of what we in correctional and adult education see far, far too often, and fight against every day. The story starts by describing the young man highlighted in the article as:

"A special education student, Jennings qualified for extra help in school. Those services should have carried over to the justice system, but Jennings said he never even attended class while in jail. Now 20, he is still unable to read or write."

Unfortunately, as the article points out, the percentage of students with learning disabilities within juvenile correctional facilities is nearly six times that of the general population. While the circumstances at all facilities across the country are not as dire as those highlighted in this article, there is much more than can, and should, be done.  David Domenici, Founder and Director of the Center for Educational Excellence in Alternative Settings (www.ceeas.org), is quoted in the Mississippi article and has done much to bring attention to, and create changes in, educational programming for adjudicated juveniles.  I encourage you all to take a look at the above linked article, as well as to take a look at David's website to see where we are, and where we hope to go...

Heather Erwin

7.  ESOL:  More Resources

Taken from LINCS Adult English Language Learner

http://www.thetimesinplainenglish.com/  - no exercises, but great sources for civics readings at lower English reading levels.

http://theliteracytribune.org/ - no exercises, but again, written for adult learners, a bit higher level than the Times above. [While they are no longer publishing, they do have 6 years worth of archived stories: http://theliteracytribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=archive&Itemid=69

CA Distance Learning Project http://www.cdlponline.org/  - does contain activities requiring flash, so activities don't work on my iPad...but the readings are perfectly accessible (and might be just fine on a non-apple tablet). 

Need a browser for the iPad that uses Flash?  Download the free version of Puffin or Rover.

8.  Reading:  Fluency Resource

Taken from ProLiteracy

I wanted to share a wonderful new resource that demonstrates how children's books can be used appropriately and successfully to improve adult literacy learners' fluency skills. Two library-based volunteer literacy programs in California have just produced approximately 60 videos showing tutors and learners working on fluency, phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary and comprehension strategies for teaching adults to read. The project was funded by the California State Library with an LSTA grant. There are five videos that feature a learner and tutor using a wonderful children's book to practice a variety of guided, repeated, oral reading strategies to improve the learner's fluency. One of the learner's goals is to read to her grandchild so it made sense for them to read a children's book in their fluency lesson. The video is a terrific example of how children's literature can be used in adult literacy lessons when learners have children in their lives.

The link to the fluency videos is https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZfx1RWm8nvhSaic5cEi15cVHuYA_8GXd

Kathy St. John

9.  Reading:  Reading Apprenticeship Research

Taken from CCR Standards Project

Given the emphasis on data and evidence these days, here's a link to the studies done on RA.  Seems pretty impressive to me.  

http://readingapprenticeship.org/research-impact/research-results-tools/randomized-controlled-studies/

John Schlueter

10. Reading:  Vocabulary Activity in the Content Area

Taken from Reading

I recently came across a Teaching Channel video https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/middle-school-vocabulary-development that demonstrates a vocabulary activity that intrigued me. I was eager to try this activity out and was able to do so last week. I'll explain how it worked in my pre-CNA class.

Steps: 1) I chose words from the content the students have been studying, which in our case was the cardiovascular system. 2) I prepared four cards for each word. For example, one word was angioplasty.  So, on CARD A, I wrote, "Starts with the letter "A";  on CARD B: "It has five syllables," CARD C: "It ends with the letter "Y", and on CARD D, I wrote a definition: "A medical procedure which involves inserting a balloon into an artery."

Students worked in groups of four with each student being given one card. The student with CARD A, read her card first. Next the student with CARD B, followed by CARD C. At this point, the students are trying to guess the word based on the information given thus far. I was surprised how engaged the students were in trying to figure out the word. They did not want the definition read until they had tried several different possibilities. They were very pleased with themselves when they were able to figure out the word before hearing the definition.

My students found this to be a fun, interactive way to review key vocabulary. It doesn't take long at all to prepare the cards, so I'm sure I'll include jigsaw vocabulary again in the future.

Susan Finnmiller

11. Technology:  Mobile Device and Home Internet Use on the Rise – Implications for Learners

Taken from Technology and Learning

The U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) recently released a report on mobile Internet device use. It found that Americans are “rapidly embracing mobile Internet devices, such as smart phones and tablet computers, for a wide range of activities beyond just voice communications, such as checking email and using social networks.” Entities providing and coordinating services for youths and adult learners may find the report findings informative in planning and structuring communications services for these populations. 

NTIA’sExploring the Digital Nation: Embracing the Mobile Internet,” is based on a U.S. Census Bureau survey from October 2012, of more than 53,000 households. According to the report, Americans are increasingly using their mobile devices for activities that they might previously have done on a computer, or not done at all. Findings revealed that between July 2011 and October 2012 there were significant increases among mobile phone users, ages 25 and older, who used their devices to download mobile applications, browse the Web, check email, and use social networks. Although mobile internet use is more prevalent among groups with higher incomes and educational attainment, and those living in urban areas, this is rapidly changing. Most noteworthy, the mobile usage gap between whites and minorities appeared to “nearly vanish” between 2011 and 2012, as shown in Figure 2 from the report, below. (Click here to see graph.)

Please see the full report for more detailed information on these and additional findings on mobile device and Internet use, including demographics and geographic location information. Also recommended for further reading is information on programs focused on expanding access to broadband and on encouraging its adoptionIn addition, the NTIA broadband adoption toolkit, details best practices that organizations can use to help encourage Internet use. 

Readers are encouraged to see how OCTAE is working to address the digital divide for our learners through providing opportunities for low-cost Internet and devices, partnering with public libraries, and clarifying guidance for schools on the purchase and support of technology for teaching and learning.

Nell Eckersley

12. Technology:  TED Talks

Taken from Assessment

The 20 Most Popular TED Talks Of All Time

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-popular-ted-talks-2014-10

P.S.  Remember -- if you are having trouble with the links in this email, go to the Email Archives at the top of the MTLINCS homepage at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/ .  Also if you no longer wish to receive this mailing, please let me know!  Thanks!

Norene Peterson
Adult Education Center
415 N. 30th
Billings, MT 59101

norenehp@bresnan.net