Montana LINCS Update
Greetings from Montana LINCS
Problems with the links in the email?
Go to the Email Archives in the upper left-hand corner on the home page at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/index.htm
Montana Educational Quality (EQ): September 11 and 12.
The September EQ Conference is shaping up to be the best ever (national presenters, the HiSET team, and much more).
The HiSET team will be presenting the first morning of the conference. Please email Margaret Bowles at email@example.com by July 31st with any specific details of the new assessment that you want covered.
*Susan Pimentel was a lead writer for the Common Core State Standards for ELA and the Project Lead and Author of the CCR Standards for Adult Education.
*Susan will be presenting at MEA this year. Stay tuned for more information!
As part of our ongoing efforts to connect adult education practitioners to free, high-quality professional development opportunities, LINCS has launched the LINCS Learning Portal: https://courses.lincs.ed.gov/. The LINCS Learning Portal is a web-based platform that connects adult educators to self-paced online courses from OVAE initiatives, including LINCS, TEAL, and more. As members of the LINCS Community, you all are the first to hear about the Learning Portal! We invite you to register for the portal, sign up for the first course, and spread the word to your colleagues and friends in the field.
The first course developed by LINCS —Engaging Adult Learners in Science— is available now, as well as Learning to Achieve courses. Additional courses in ESL instruction, adult career pathways, science, and other topics will soon follow. You will receive a certificate of completion for each course that you complete.
Science Course Outline
· Session 1: Understanding the Importance of Scientific Literacy for Adult Learners
o Science and scientific literacy
o Relevance of science to adult learners in basic education
· Session 2: Exploring the Scientific Practices
o Eight scientific practices
o Compare and contrast the scientific practices and the scientific method
o The scientific practices in everyday life
· Session 3: Observing the Scientific Practices in the Classroom
o Classroom activities that use the scientific practices
Important note about accounts: The LINCS Community and LINCS Learning Portal currently are two separate systems. This means that you will need to create a new account to join the LINCS Learning Portal. You do not need to pick a new username; as your username for the Learning Portal will be your email address. However, you will need to choose a new 8-character password. The LINCS team is investigating the technical steps it would take to merge these two systems under one account structure (i.e., Single Sign On).
To join the LINCS Learning Portal, follow the following steps:
1. Go to the log in page at: https://courses.lincs.ed.gov/.
2. Click the Create User / Sign up button in the Need to register? box. You will need to create a new account (separate from your LINCS Community account).
3. Complete the requested information to create your account. Check the box to accept the terms and conditions; and click Create an Account.
4. An email will be sent to you to confirm your email address. Click the link in your email to verify your email address and complete your account set up.
5. Within that email, click the Continue to LINCS Learning Online link and log in by entering your username (email address) and password.
To enroll in Engaging Adult Learners in Science:
1. Click the course title: Engaging Adult Learners in Science in the LINCS Science section.
2. Click Enroll me on the next screen, then on the new screen click Launch to start the course.
We are excited to provide you with this valuable resource and expand it by adding additional courses throughout the coming months! If you have any questions about accessing or using the LINCS Learning Portal, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Link to the webinar presentation: http://kyae.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/DAB2DFD3-B931-4950-9F38-8CF3A9E491A8/0/LINCSWebinar.pptx
2. New Resource Added to KYAE CCR Standards Page: Susan Pimentel
*Susan Pimentel What's In and What's Out Chart to KYAE's CCR Standards page: http://kyae.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/B43FAD9F-E14D-4ED3-ABDA-120B9646EC39/0/WhatsInandWhatsout.pdf
This simple table addresses the instructional shifts needed to teach the new CCR Standards for English Language Arts.
3. Snippets from the discussion
Go to https://community.lincs.ed.gov/discussion/kentucky-adult-education%E2%80%99s-standards-professional-development-resources-webinar-and-guest to access all discussion.
P.S. Remember -- if you are having trouble with the links in this email, go to the Email Archives at the top of the MTLINCS homepage at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/ . Also if you no longer wish to receive this mailing, please let me know! Thanks!
Adult Education Center
415 N. 30th
Billings, MT 59101