Montana LINCS Update
Greetings from Montana LINCS
Problems with the links in the email?
Go to the Email Archives in the upper left-hand corner on the home page at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/index.htm
May you all enjoy our wonderful Big Sky!
MTLINCS will be providing you with intermittent updates throughout the summer. In the meantime, if you have time to devote to some professional development, check out the links below for the following:
LINCS Learner Web Teaching Adults to Read
1. Montana High School Equivalency Test: HiSET
Click here http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/HiSET/hiset_resources.htm to access information about HiSET Montana.
2. Teaching Reading to Adults
Click here https://www.learnerweb.org/LearnerWeb/LearnerWeb.html?region=literacyworkslincs&locale=en&#REGION_HOME_PAGE to access an online course which provides instruction about reading.
A free series of five online, self-paced courses, based on a 3-day workshop on the four components of reading, developed by experts in the field of adult basic education and literacy: Dr. John R. Kruidenier, Susan McShane, and Dr. Rosalind Davidson. (Both Dr. Davidson and Dr. Kruidenier have presented reading workshops in Montana within the last eight years. You can check out some of those resources at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/reading/resource_index.htm )
· Teaching Adults to Read: Alphabetics
· Teaching Adults to Read: Fluency
· Teaching Adults to Read: Vocabulary
· Teaching Adults to Read: Comprehension
· Assessment Strategies and Reading Profiles
Each course provides participants with background information, informative readings and resources, hands-on activities, and multimedia examples of recommended assessment and instructional strategies. Participants will explore the components of reading and research-based strategies for assessing and teaching both native and nonnative English-speaking adults how to read. Each self-paced course can be completed in 2-4 hours, and participants will receive a certificate upon completion of each course. To register, please visit: http://literacyworkslincs.learnerweb.org
3. MTLINCS Research 2012 – 2013
Compilation of Research
Click here http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/research/opiable_research.htm to access a compilation of all of the MTLINCS research for 2012 – 2013.
Click below to access specific areas.
· Adult College Completion Toolkit, U.S. Department of Education OVAE http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/research/able_research2012-2013college.htm
· Improving Adult Literacy Instruction – Options for Practice and Research, National Academy of Sciences, 2012 http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/opi/research/able_research_2012-2013literacy.htm
P.S. Remember -- if you are having trouble with the links in this email, go to the Email Archives at the top of the MTLINCS homepage at http://www.nwlincs.org/mtlincs/ . Also if you no longer wish to receive this mailing, please let me know! Thanks!
Adult Education Center
415 N. 30th
Billings, MT 59101